Poisonous plants are rarely the cause of food poisoning in food premises. Plants responsible for causing acute poisoning include deadly nightshade, death cap ( which may be mistaken for edible mushrooms), daffodil bulbs and rhubarb leaves.
Red kidney beans or haricot beans which are consumed raw or under-cooked occasionally result in food poisoning. Beans should be boiled for at least 10 minutes to destroy poisonous toxin. long, slow cooking is not recommended. Nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain are likely within 1 to 6 hours of consuming the beans. Temperatures of canning will destroy the toxin.
ADD PHOTO OF KIDNEY BEANS BEING BOILED